• Please use the new forum at https://forum.dictanote.co

Delay in inserting text into textbox [RESOLVED]

A
admin
Dictanote Admin
  • 11 Oct '23

There is a noticeable lag between when the text appears and when it is inserted in the textbox. This stems from a recent glitch in Chrome's speech-to-text API.

Note: The moment you dictate the next phrase, the previous phrase will be finalized and inserted.
You can continue dictating normally when dictating a paragraph. All the text will be inserted correctly.

Here is a quick demo: https://capture.dropbox.com/g…

On many websites (including Gmail and ChatGPT), you can press the Enter key on your keyboard to finalize pending results instantly.

We know this is not ideal and are adding a workaround for this bug and hope to send it Chrome Web Store for review by the end of today. Independently, we hope the Chrome speech-to-text API issue gets resolved. At this time, there is no impact on users using the Edge browser.

[UPDATE] Temporary workarounds:

1. On many websites (including Gmail and ChatGPT), you can press the Enter key on your keyboard to finalize pending results instantly.
  2. You can press CTRL + SHIFT + 9 to restart Voice In. That should finalize text.
  3. Use Microsoft Edge + Voice In. Voice In works fine on Edge.

[UPDATE2] Chrome's speech-to-text API is working correctly again as of 11:07 PM PT. This issue should start getting resolved for most folks in the coming day.

admin pinned this 6 months, 3 weeks ago
P
patm-r
PATRICK MEAD-ROBINS
  • 11 Oct '23

I'm impatiently waiting for a solution to this problem and thanks for this forum as I finally realized it wasn't something I had done to my iMac, especially after I had done some old cache purging because of some other problems with Google Chrome. I assume the problem stated is the cause and not something I did to my iMac.

- Patrick

S
suky
Susan Wyle
  • 11 Oct '23

Thanks for this comment as it has been driving me crazy lately because it isn't working right at all! Hoping for a quick fix

admin pinned this 6 months, 3 weeks ago
C
crystal.rimple
Crystal Rimple
  • 11 Oct '23

I've been having this issue since yesterday, as well. I cannot wait for the fix to come out! High Hopes it finishes soon, because I really depend on this program. On the sites that I use it, the "enter" button work around is not working.

C
crystal.rimple
Crystal Rimple
  • 11 Oct '23

Best fix that I have found so far, for those having the "enter button isn't helping" issue as well, is using the hot keys (Ctrl + shift + 9) to disengage or re-engage the voice-in app: While using the voice app, dictate what you need to then turn the voice app off. It'll automatically add your words to whatever your cursor is on. Super annoying and tedious, but best I got so far.

A
admin
Dictanote Admin
  • 11 Oct '23

^ Thanks Crystal. I have updated the main post with some workarounds.
I'm locking this thread so everyone doesn't get spammed each time someone replies. If you need help, you can reach us at support@dictanote.co.

admin closed this 6 months, 3 weeks ago
admin reopened this 6 months, 3 weeks ago
noctropolis27's comment was removed 6 months, 3 weeks ago
admin closed this 6 months, 3 weeks ago
admin unpinned this 3 months, 3 weeks ago
admin unpinned this 3 months, 3 weeks ago
We have moved to a new forum. Please ask your question at forum.dictanote.co.